Our Burbank self-defense program will empower you and your children to protect yourselves in any situation. If you are looking for a fun environment to learn self-defense in Burbank, Studio City, Toluca Lake, Sherman Oaks, Glendale, and surrounding Los Angeles cities, continue reading to learn more about our school or Contact Us to schedule your first class today.
Why Wing Chun for Self-Defense?
Wing Chun was invented in wartime by a woman, the Shaolin nun Ng Mui. Ng Mui saw a great need for a combat-ready, efficient martial arts style. Since its inception, Wing Chun has become known as the best martial art for self-defense, with famous practitioners including Bruce Lee, Jackie Chan, Ip Man, Cameron Diaz, Robert Downey Jr. and Christian Bale.
Our students have used our Wing Chun training to defend themselves in many dangerous situations, including:
- A female student who disarmed a gunman
- A male student who neutralized a home invader
- A teenager who overcame two attackers, one armed with a knife
- Countless children and teens who have deterred bullies and discouraged future harassment
There are many reasons why our Wing Chun curriculum is the best way for you to learn self-defense in Burbank.
The Streets Have No Weight Classes or Referees
Wing Chun prepares you for the streets, not tournaments.
At the bare minimum, every single martial arts competition features two opponents in the same weight class, both forbidden from striking vulnerable areas such as the eyes, throat, groin, and knees. Nobody has to plan for multiple attackers, armed attackers, or cheap shots.
At our school, we make no such assumptions. We will teach you strategies to disable your attacker quickly and effectively. All of our students learn:
- Defense against single attackers
- Defense against multiple attackers
- Defense against armed attackers
- How to utilize your surroundings to your advantage
- How to disable a bigger, stronger opponent
- Overcoming chokes, headlocks, being pinned to the ground, hair pulling, grabs, and more
Why Your Family Needs to Learn Self-Defense
Do you even need to learn self-defense? Statistics, safety officers and common sense agree the answer is yes.
- Bullying: 77% of students admit to being the victim of one type of bullying or another.
- Fighting: 46% of males and 26% of females have admitted to being victims in physical fights.
- Sexual Assault: 1 in 6 women and 1 in 33 men have experienced attempted or completed rape in their lifetime.
- Personal Confidence: Elizabeth Smart, one of the world’s most famous kidnapping victims, has made it her life mission to empower children with self-defense skills.
“The majority of those [kids] who fight back are able to get away — but I didn’t know that,” [Elizabeth] Smart tells TIME.
All students ages 3 & up in our Wing Chun Kung Fu programs learn comprehensive self-defense strategies and tactics. More importantly, all of our training is age-appropriate and fun!
If you just want to learn self-defense, and are not interested in studying traditional martial arts, we understand. Simply let us know and we will tailor a program to your needs.
The first step is to schedule your introductory class. Call us at 818-843-7916 or use our Contact Form today.